The industry’s most powerful and effective yeast inhibitor and microbial control agent.
Velcorin® is the trade name for dimethyldicarbonate (DMDC), a microbial control agent produced by LANXESS®. Since 1988, Velcorin has been used in the United States in wine, low-alcohol wine, and non-alcoholic wine as well as juice, juice sparklers, sports drinks, and ready-to-drink teas. Velcorin is very effective at low dosages against a broad range of yeast, bacteria and molds. Unlike other chemical preservatives, Velcorin is non-persistent and does not affect wine taste, bouquet or color. In addition, Velcorin can remain active for several hours (depending on hydrolysis rate) thereby helping to eliminate contamination from other sources such as bottles, closures and filling equipment.
To speak to one of our Velcorin experts or to place an order, please fill in the form provided below.Contact Us
- To help prevent refermentation in finished wines. Wines containing residual sugar are susceptible to fermentation in the bottle which can lead to haze, off-odors, off-flavors and effervescence. Adding Velcorin to wine during bottling can help prevent refermentation. Also, Velcorin can be used to replace or decrease the amount of sorbate which is sometimes used in wines containing residual sugar.
- To control spoilage yeast such as Brettanomyces (especially in unfiltered or moderately filtered wines). Brettanomyces is able to metabolize sugars including cellobiose from toasted barrels, leading to the evolution of 4-ethylphenol and other undesirable sensory attributes. In this application, Velcorin can be used either in the cellar or at the time of bottling.
- To decrease the amount of sulfur dioxide used in wines. Sulfur dioxide used in combination with Velcorin has been shown to achieve microbial stability at lower overall sulfur dioxide levels.
- To reduce warehouse holding time in early-to-market wines. Velcorin can be used to decrease the amount of sulfur dioxide and/or decrease the degree of filtration. These wines undergo speedier sulfur dioxide equilibration and less bottle-shock. They are therefore palatable sooner and can be released earlier.
Options & Conditions for UseVelcorin must be used with an approved dosing system.
We offer a highly effective solution for the cold sterilization of your wine and state-of-the-art dosing technology with the Velcorin® DT Touch Dosing Unit. The Velcorin DT Touch Dosing Unit can be installed with new or existing filling lines and allows you full control and visibility of the dosing process. All Velcorin handlers must undergo annual safety training (provided by Scott Labs at no charge to the customer).
Key Features of the DT Touch
- High quality and robust dosing pump with monitorable dosing
- Temperature-controlled stainless steel upper and lower cabinets containing 6 kg and 25 kg bottles
- Control and visualization via touch panel PC
- Excellent dispersion of Velcorin
- Beverage flow rate measurement through mass measurement device
- Ventilation on Velcorin side
- Easy and safe operation
Mobile Velcorin Service Providers
Bring the service directly to your cellar with a mobile service provider. For a list of recommended mobile services, please see our mobile services page.View Mobile Services